Civil war images and music boxes are highlights of upcoming auction Important Civil War images, with copyright, and significant music box collection are highlights of Saturday, April 9 auction at Peachtree & Bennett, Atlanta’s premier auction house.
News-Antique.com - Mar 22,2016 - Auction house Peachtree & Bennett announces the sale of a rare Jefferson Davis ambrotype, to be included in their upcoming auction on Saturday, April 9, 2016 from 6pm to 11pm at the Atlanta Expo Center (3640 Jonesboro Road SE, Atlanta, GA 30354).
The ambrotype, ca. 1855, shows a clean-shaven, middle-aged Jefferson Davis during his tenure as U.S. Senator for the state of Mississippi before the onset of the Civil War, during which he served as President of the Confederacy. Grant Romer of the George Eastman House suggests the image was taken as a daguerreotype then reproduced approximately 10 years later as an ambrotype. In addition to being an arresting image of an important historical figure, and thus a desirable artifact for Civil War collectors, the item is significant because it includes the copyright. The eventual owner will have the rights to royalty, permission, and use fees for reproduction and use of the image. (Estimate $20,000/$40,000.)
The same auction will also feature a tintype of Confederate General John Bell Hood. Hood received his command at the age of 33, making him the youngest man to lead an army on either side of the Civil War. The tintype, which has some losses to the image, was likely made after the end of the Civil War. Copyright of the image is also included with this item. (Estimate $20,000/$40,000.)
Also at the April 9 event, Peachtree & Bennett will be auctioning an important collection of music boxes including a Polyphon Upright Music Box (est. $2,500/$4,500), an antique 5 Bell Cylinder Music Box with marquetry inlaid rosewood body (est. $1,500/$3,000), Symphonion Fancy Carved Disc Music Box with an elaborately carved walnut body (est. $2,000/$4,000), and a particularly beautiful Upright Orchestral Regina Music Box with 28 discs (est. $10,000/$15,000).
Other highlights of the auction include:
* Collection of Tiffany Favrile glass, including an iridescent gold pitcher with a grape design, a candlestick lamp with a reticulated brass and colored glass shade, and a King Tut vase with iridescent gold interior
* Pair of hexagonal Sevres vases in a serene blue-and-gold design with bronze mounts
* Antique Royal Vienna twin-handled urn featuring an attractive portrait of a woman
* Striking art nouveau lamp featuring the figure of the Roman god Eros and a wrought foliage design with iridescent gold glass shades
* Fine estate jewelry, including a star sapphire and diamond ring; a 3.03 carat, G color diamond in a 18K white gold engagement band and wedding ring set; and a ladies Rolex Cellini watch
* 19th-century French furniture, including an inlaid Boulle table with beautiful lines and an elegant leather-topped bureau plat
The full auction catalogue is available online at www.peachtreebennett.com. Online bidding, in addition to live and absentee bidding, is available through invaluable.com and liveauctioneers.com. The collection may be previewed at Peachtree & Bennett’s showroom in the Atlanta Expo Center from 10am to 5pm from Wednesday, April 6 through Saturday, April 9.
Peachtree & Bennett is proud to bring quality antiques to the market and