The Canterbury Auction Galleries To Sell The Gregory, Bottley & Lloyd Collection Of Minerals, Fossil The Canterbury Auction Galleries will sell the contents of one of Victorian London's principal dealers in minerals, fossils and natural history curiosities in a sale in Kent, England, on June 12.
News-Antique.com - Apr 29,2014 - June 12 sale features everything from meteorites
to prehistoric crocodile bones
The Canterbury Auction Galleries have been instructed to sell the contents of Gregory, Bottley & Lloyd, one of the principal dealers in minerals, fossils and natural history curiosities since the shop was established in London in 1850. The single-owner auction will have its own dedicated catalogue and is on June 12.
In 2008, the business and all the old stock, original Victorian cabinets, display cases, books, specimens and geological antiques were moved from the capital to Walmer in Kent. These are now all included in the auction following Brian and Mary Lloyd's decision to retire.
The business was founded in 1858 by James Reynolds Gregory and is one of the longest surviving mineral specimen suppliers in the world. Gregory was educated at Archbishop Tenison's School In London, and worked first as an assistant in a silk and jewellery company in Regent Street.
In 1858, at the age of 26, he established a business of his own selling minerals, fossils and polished stones from premises in King William Street. A few years later he moved to more extensive premises in Golden Square where he soon gained a reputation as one of the best dealers in the city, exhibiting at many of the major commercial shows in London and elsewhere. He won awards for the excellence of his specimens at exhibition in Paris in 1867; Sydney in 1879 and in London in 1862, 1883 and 1884.
Gregory supplied many of the major collectors of his day, as well as scientists needing samples for research purposes. He built a superb personal collection of meteorites from several hundred falls, a collection later broken up and sold by his sons, a large portion going to the British Museum. He also wrote several papers on meteorites and was a member of the Geological Society, the Mineralogical Society, the Mineralogical Society of France and of the Society of Arts.
On the death of his father in 1899, Albert Gregory took over the business, dealing from various premises in the Kensington area before finally settling at 30 Old Church Street in Chelsea, where he established an extraordinary showroom using his late father's cabinets, devoted to minerals, fossils and educational specimens. He eventually sold the company in 1932 to Percy Bottley, formerly a dealer in geological supplies in Derby, who in deference to his predecessors renamed it Gregory, Bottley & Company.
Percy and his wife, Winifred, continued to deal from the same premises, using the same 19th century showcases and cabinets to display their collections. They built the business up to international success supplying museums, universities and private collectors including crowned heads and famous personalities. Even during the Second World War the business continued unabated and several excellent private collections were acquired and sold.
After the death of Percy Bottley, the well known premises in Church Street were sold in 1982. The company was acquired by Brian Lloyd who had started the natural history sales at Sotheby's before