ANTIQUES ROADSHOW REIMAGINED: EUROPEAN ANTIQUE TOUR SPOTLIGHTS TAX-FREE SHOPPING AND SIZZLING FINDS All-inclusive fall antiques tour highlights under-the-radar antique shopping venues in the nooks and crannies of Central Europe.
News-Antique.com - Aug 02,2013 - Philadelphia, PA–August 2, 2013, For Immediate Release– A European Antique Tour that sets a high bar: Have you ever phantasized about foraging for popular antiques, design and vintage finds at a 15th-Century castle, a juicy market your friends have never heard of, or a crumbly Stalinist-era factory?
These are just a few of the stops on tap for the Fall Antiques Road Tour, September 25-October 4, 2013, offered by Philadelphia-based Treasures of Europe Tours. The company’s antique tours have been featured in Country Living, USA Today and Australian House and Garden.
The antiques tour is conceived as a safari and buying trip rather a white-glove tour. It’s designed to appeal to dealers, designers, trend scouts, vintage buffs, home-owners and antiques enthusiasts who are single-minded about "The Hunt."
Many people from the U.S. shop the well-trod antiques circuit in France, the UK, Belgium and Italy, where prices can be astronomical.
"The people who gravitate toward our antique tours are looking for an alternative," said Tom Conrad, who will lead the tour.
"We veer off the beaten path and focus on 'Europe's Attic,' including parts of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire and the old kingdoms of Saxony, Franconia and Bavaria,” he added.
"This is the most-overlooked antiques region on the continent, and prices are lower there than in western Europe -- that’s why it’s the best place to shop,” he added.
The tour starts and ends in Frankfurt. Dresden, the Salzburg district, Leipzig, Bamberg and other stops are included. Shopping venues include:
- A 19th-century mill in a Saxon hill town with four floors of furniture, folk art, architectural, Christmas collectibles, decor and small antiques
- An after-hours visit to one of the top vintage and antique textile dealers in Central Europe
- An Austrian warehouse loaded with 18th-19th-Century, Secessionist, Deco and midcentury treasures, Biedermeier, Louis Philippe, Baroque and other classic antiques
- A Soviet-era factory-turned-prop warehouse with retro, industrial antiques, vintage, institutional and farm antiques, lighting, relics and collectibles
- A private visit to a 14th-Century “Antiques Castle” in the Franconian highlands, which serves as a warehouse-showroom-workshop for a dealer couple
- The best antique market in Europe, with upwards of 1000 dealers, and the top annual antiques fair in Bavaria.
The group is small; space is limited. Info, itinerary and pricing are available online at Treasures of Europe Tours. Contact:
Treasures of Europe Tours
Tel. +1 215 991 9892