The Military Sale - A Fresh Format 2012 saw three major players in the UK fine art and collectibles industry (Apex, Baldwin’s and Dreweatts & Bloomsbury Auctions) combine to create the UK’s newest ‘top 5’ generalist auctioneer under th
the city and country. He distinguished himself at the Staff College which he passed through in 1903. A message of sympathy was sent to his parents on Monday from his brother Staff officers at Salisbury.
The funeral of the deceased was held in Dawlish yesterday, the sympathy of the towns people being markedly shown. The town flag was hoisted half-mast high, the blinds of business establishments and private houses were drawn and many of the head men of the place, including the Chairman of the Council, Mr J. Shapter, walked in the procession. The body was conveyed from St. Moritz, Canton de Grisons, to this country, under the guidance of the British Consul, via Calais and Dover.
The cortege proceeded from the railway station, the coffin covered with a Union Jack upon which were floral tributes being borne by a detachment of the Royal Field Artillery from Topsham Barracks, under Sergeant Skinner.
Mourners were Mr and Mrs Edwin Pennell, Exeter, father and mother; Misses R and H Pennell, sisters, Mr C. L Pennell, brother, Mr Lovell Pennell, uncle, Miss Pennell of Dawlish, aunt; Colonel Pennell, cousin and Miss Pennell, Mr Hill, cousin and Mrs Landon. Among those who attended were Colonel H. Sinclair, Assistant Quarter Master General, representing the Staff of the Southern Command to which the late Captain Pennell was attached; Colonel Currie CB, Exeter, retired; Major G. W.B. Collis and Mr Lewis, officer in charge of the coastguard station.
The officiating clergy were the Reverend W. P. Alford, vicar and Reverend H. B. W. Hammond, senior curate. The brass plate on the coffin bore the inscription “Henry Singleton Pennell VC; captain, Shewood Foresters, died 19th January 1907 aged 32 years”.
Among a number of beautiful floral tributes , in addition to those sent by the family, was one with a with a card attached on which was inscribed “With deepest sympathy and regret” and adorned with a long and wide sash of violet ribbons; there was a large cross from friends of the Kulm Hotel, St. Moritz. From the same hotel, as a mark of sympathy “from some brother officers” was sent a very choice wreath. There were also wreaths from the manager of the hotel and others at St. Moritz, and from The Reverend W. P. Alford.
Messrs Tapper & Sons superintended the funeral arrangements.
Lot 199 Herbert Morton Stoops (American, 1887-1948) ‘Strange Meeting’, Argonne 1918 Oil on canvas Signed with initials and dated (19)24 middle right 64cm x 100cm (25 ½in x 39 ½in) Provenance: With David Cohen Fine Art, 17 King Street, St James’s London exhibition ‘The Great War’, 1st to 17th November 1991, no. 177 (illustrated on the front cover of the catalogue). The Meuse-Argonne Offensive, or Maas-Argonne Offensive, also called the Battle of the Argonne Forest, was a part of the final Allied offensive of World War I that stretched along the entire western front. It was fought from 26th September 1918, until the Armistice on 11th November.