927, a George V 1929 Pretoria mint proof sovereign was another item deemed excessively rare. This coin had never been recorded in any reference works and is therefore thought to be the only known example. The coin was estimated at £12-15,000 but fetched £52,800 (including Buyer’s Premium).
Ian Goldbart, Managing Director of Baldwin’s commented:
“After the astounding success of the Prospero Collection of ancient Greek coins earlier this year we were delighted to be able to offer at auction such a high calibre collection of British sovereigns. The results from the sale were truly outstanding and we are very much looking forward to selling part three next year.”
This is the second time Baldwin’s have achieved record breaking prices this year, setting new world records in both ancient and modern coinage. The final part of the Bentley Collection will be sold by Baldwin’s on the 7th May 2013 in London and included the rarest London mint Sovereign, dated 1819. There are only a handful known to exist and the Bentley example is by far the finest known specimen in private hands. Catalogues will be available around four weeks prior to the auction at www.baldwin.co.uk
For more information visit www.baldwin.co.uk/bentley
For all specialist enquires about The Bentley Collection or to request a copy of the collection brochure please contact Steve Hill at email@example.com or on +44 (0)20 7930 6879.
For all press enquiries please contact Caroline Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +44 (0)20 7930 6879.
Notes to the Editor:
• Established in 1872 A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd has over 100 years experience in servicing the numismatic industry.
• Baldwin’s auction department was established in 1993 and has grown to hold between ten and twelve sales annually in London, New York and Hong Kong and specialise in all areas of Numismatics.
• Baldwin’s broadcast all of their main auctions over the internet and provide a live bidding service through www.the-saleroom.com/baldwins
• Follow us on Twitter @BaldwinsCoins and find us on Facebook at /BaldwinsCoins
• All auction prices quoted include Buyer’s Premium at 20%