876 COINS. CHINA – Fantasy : Gold “25-Taels”, 1869, Obv the Tantric God Mahakala seated on lotus flower, two dragons in border, Rev two upright dragons facing beneath fireball, English and Chinese legends around, (Hsin Wei Tung Chi) in centre, “EMPIRE OF CHINA” above, 50mm, 90.85g. Uncirculated.
950 COINS - CHINA - HONG KONG. Victoria: Silver Pattern 1-Tael, 1867, Obv diademed bust of Queen Victoria left, key pattern border dividing legend “VICTORIA” and “QUEEN”, Rev dot at centre with “TRIAL” above, surrounded and “986” below, all within a beaded circle; in the outer circle, “ONE TAEL . HONG-KONG” and “1867” separated by two five-pointed stars, reeded edge (Prid 314; KM Y Pn122). In NGC holder graded PF62, very rare.
Notes to the Editor:
• The Norman Jacobs Collection of Chinese Silver Coins, Copper Coins & Paper Money was sold in August 2008 as The Hong Kong Coin Auction 44. The collection represented his life’s work – almost seventy years as a collector, scholar and devotee of Chinese (and more broadly, Asian) culture, history and numismatics.
• The Hong Kong Coin Auction is held twice annually in conjunction with the Hong Kong International Coin Convention and Antique Watch Fair and always over the three days after the auction. It is organised by Ma Tak Wo Numismatic Co. Ltd and A.H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd and details of how to book an exhibition table or get tickets for the show can be obtained from either of the partners.
• A.H. Baldwin & Sons have been holding auctions in Singapore and Hong Kong with local partners since 1993 and this will be the 36th auction they have held together.
• Baldwin’s auction department hold between ten and twelve sales annually in London, New York and Hong Kong and specialise in all areas of Numismatics.
• Baldwin’s & Ma Tak Wo offer an online bidding service via www.the-saleroom.com/baldwins
• Buyers Premium for this auction is set at 18% and all figures quoted within this press release are inclusive of the 18% premium.
Ma Tak Wo Numismatic Co Ltd
Unit A2, 9th Floor, China Insurance Building, 48 Cameron Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: (++852) 2316 2926
Fax: (++852) 2316 7526