RARITIES AND MASTERWORKS ENRICH RAGO’S 20TH C. DESIGN AUCTION ON JUNE 11-12 Rarities from the Arden Utopian Community, John Dickinson’s San Francisco home and the family collection of John Risley.
Masterworks from the studio of J.B. Blunk, Rohlfs, Elizabeth Burton, Esheri
News-Antique.com - May 25,2011 - Lambertville, NJ On Saturday, June 11 and Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 11 a.m., the Rago Arts and Auction Center will hold an auction of 20th C. Design. Included among the more than 1300 lots are rarities from the Arden Utopian Community, John Dickinson’s San Francisco home and the family collection of John Risley and masterworks from the studio of J.B. Blunk, Rohlfs, Elizabeth Burton, Esherick, Glancy, Bertoia, Tiffany Studios, Scheier, Royere, Evans, Guariche, Deskey, Adnet, and McKie
“If you want to see a lot of strong, wildly diverse material, with a minimum of condition issues, stop by,” said David Rago. “The modern glass and ceramics collections are exemplary. The selection of our specialty, American Organic Modern furniture, is the best it’s been in years, with a broad grouping of Esherick, Evans, Nakashima, and Powell, plus a raft of lesser known Studio designers like Blunk. The Aesthetic Movement collection is quite remarkable and the estimates are low, because it hasn’t been on anyone’s design radar in a while – too long, to my way of thinking. We’ll see if the market agrees. And we’ll see what the market thinks about the newly discovered furniture from Arden. That’s anyone’s guess.”
• Saturday, June 11, 11 a.m.
o Early 20th C. / Arts & Crafts
o A Century of Art Glass
o Modern Ceramics
• Sunday, June 12, 11 a.m.
o Mid 20th-21st C. / Modern Design
• Telephone, absentee, online bidding available for those unable to attend
• Saturday, June 4 through Thursday, June 9, from 12-5 p.m. or by appointment. Friday, June 10, 12-8 p.m. Doors open on days of sale at 8 a.m.
• Rago’s is located midway between New York City and Philadelphia. Directions online at ragoarts.com
• Printed catalogues are available for $25 by calling 609.397.9374 or e-mailing a request to email@example.com
• View a complete online catalogue with color images at ragoarts.com as of May 26, 2011
Notes for the Editor
• High-resolution images available.
• About Rago Arts and Auction Center: Since 1994, Rago's has served thousands of sellers and buyers with a singular blend of global reach and personal service. Originally specialists in 20th century design, today Rago's expertise covers centuries of fine art, decorative arts, furnishings, jewelry and ethnographic property. It is a world-class venue through which to buy and sell. It is also a destination for those who seek to learn and share knowledge about art, antiques and collecting, offering free valuations for personal property (from a single piece to collections and estates), appraisals and auction exhibitions in house and online. Rago's, the largest and leading auction house in New Jersey, is located midway between Philadelphia and New York.
• Next 20th C. Design Auction: Saturday/Sunday, October 1-2, 2011.
Early 20th C. / Arts & Crafts: Saturday, June 11, 11 a.m.
The sale opens with 87 lots of Aesthetic Movement decorative arts and furnishings from the collection of Suzanne & Adriano de Cardenas, including works of Kimbel &