RAGO’S HOLDS A 1,100+ LOT 20TH C. DESIGN AUCTION ON FEBRUARY 4-5 Property fresh to the market from top designers such as Esherick, Chihuly, Grueby, Martin Brothers, Nakashima, Evans, Paley, Rohlfs, Stickley, Tiffany, Voulkos, Bertoia, Parzinger, Ohr, Lalique, Van B
News-Antique.com - Jan 14,2011 - Lambertville, NJ On Friday, February 4 and Saturday, February 5, 2011 at noon, the Rago Arts and Auction Center will hold a 1,100+ lot auction of 20th C. Decorative Arts and furnishings. The sale includes high-end pieces from private collections accepted from the U.S. and abroad. Included are early 20th Century pieces such as Tiffany lamps, Arts & Crafts furnishings and pottery; and Modern famous maker furniture, sculpture, glass and pottery from the design movements of the 1920s to contemporary makers.
“This sale is notable for the number of finds it contains: pots by George Ohr purchased from Jim Carpenter and off the market for over 30 years; singular furniture acquired directly from Wharton Esherick; a spectacular collection of ceramics by Toshiko Takaezu from a friend of the artist; and the best collection of contemporary glass yet to auction,” says David Rago.
• Friday, February 4 at Noon: Early 20th C. Design/Arts and Crafts
• Saturday, February 5 at Noon: Mid 20th C. – 21st C/Modern
• Telephone, absentee, online bidding available for those unable to attend.
• Saturday, January 29, 2011 through Thursday, February 3, from 12-5 p.m. and by appointment. Doors open on days of sale at 9 a.m.
• Rago’s is located midway between New York City and Philadelphia. Directions online at ragoarts.com
• Printed catalogues are available for $25 by calling 609.397.9374 or e-mailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• View a complete online catalogue with color images at ragoarts.com as of January 20, 2011.
Notes for the Editor
• High-resolution images available.
• About Rago Arts and Auction Center: Since 1994, Rago's has served thousands of sellers and buyers with a singular blend of global reach and personal service. Originally specialists in 20th century design, today Rago's expertise covers centuries of fine art, decorative arts, furnishings, jewelry and ethnographic property. It is a world-class venue through which to buy and sell. It is also a destination for those who seek to learn and share knowledge about art, antiques and collecting, offering free valuations for personal property (from a single piece to collections and estates), appraisals and auction exhibitions in house and online. Rago's, the largest and leading auction house in New Jersey, is located midway between Philadelphia and New York.
• Next 20th C. Design Auction: Saturday/Sunday, June 11 and 12, 2011.
Early 20th C. Design
The Early 20th C. Design sale features more than 400 lots of decorative arts and furnishings. Among the exceptional property in Early 20th Century Design: Tiffany Lamps; Arts & Crafts pottery by Grueby, Newcomb College, Martin Brothers Van Briggle, Moorcroft, Ohr; Arts and Crafts furniture by Stickley, Rohlfs and much more.
AMERICAN ART POTTERY:
The sale begins with 20+ lots of the infamous eccentric, George Ohr: lot 1, is a large dimpled vessel with folded rim and amber and raspberry sponged glaze, stamped G.E. OHR Biloxi, Miss., with original price tag of $85, estimated at $8,500-12,500. Other exceptional pieces include: 105, an Isaac Broome for Lenox,