Moran's Sale Signals A Resurgent Market Pasadena, CA-- Signaling a resurgent market, John Moran Auctioneers’ September 28 Antiques and Decorative Arts Auction achieved a sell-through rate of 87% and earned excellent prices for silver, Ameri
– 500). Also bringing very strong prices were an early 20th century Bohemian glass conical centerpiece that sold for $3600 (estimate: $1500 – 2500), and a vivid red, orange and pearl Loetz (Austria) gourd-form iridescent glass vase that found a buyer at $4500 (estimate: $300 – 500). Three lots of sterling-overlay glass by Alvin also topped pre-sale estimates by a wide margin.
Art pottery offerings included an Arequipa aqua glazed daffodil vase that brought $2040 (estimate: $800 – 1200) and a Grueby matte green cabinet vase that sold for $2400 (estimate: $500 – 700). All thirteen lots of Rookwood offered met with enthusiastic bidding, with all but one selling well above the high estimates ranging from $500 to $1500. They included several sterling overlay pieces, which brought prices ranging from $900 – 1680.
Additional sale highlights include:
• Two Indian silver-veneered throne chairs decorated with exotic birds and animals (estimate $1500 – 3000) sold for $12,000
• A 19th century English colonial brass-mounted, mother-of-pearl inlaid elm shoe-form box (estimate: $800 - 1200) sold for $2400
• An exquisitely decorated late 18th century Italian bone-inlaid, ebonized guitar (estimate: $1000 – 2000) sold to an international bidder for $10,200
• A collection of sterling silver Giants baseball memorabilia, including cufflinks and season passes (estimate: $1000 – 1500) sold to a collector for $3600
• A twin-hemisphere map of the world by John Speed, dated 1651, (estimate: $2000 – 3000) sold for $6600
• A group of three small Native American-themed oils by Marjorie Reed (1915 – 1966) (estimate: $600 – 900) sold for $1440
John Moran’s next antiques auction is scheduled for November 30th, 2010, and their next California and American Art Auction is October 19th, 2010. All sales are held at the Pasadena Convention Center in Pasadena, CA and full catalogues are posted at www.johnmoran.com 2 -3 weeks prior to each sale. Bidding is available from the floor and via absentee, telephone or online through Artfact.com. For more information please call 626-793-1833 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .