News-Antique.com - Aug 17,2008 - Wallpaper is back in style especially vintage looks according to author and kitschy collector C. Dianne Zweig (cdiannezweig.com). While wallpapering walls has been on a long hiatus, collectors have re-discovered new uses for old wallpaper.
Zweig, who just released her new book, Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes says that walls can become an interesting display all by themselves
even without objects. Vintage wallpaper can be used to create exciting accents to a plain and empty wall.
Keeping up on decorating trends is essential for Zweig who writes about kitchens and homes and maintains her popular shop Kitsch-N-Stuff located in The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, Connecticut.
If you want to move inventory that has been sitting around too long, you need to come up with new uses for
Zweig offers these suggestions for using vintage wallpaper in the home:
•. Frame fireplaces and window walls with wallpaper.
• Use novelty papers (lighthouses, sailboats, sea shells)
in bathrooms in beach cottages.
• Frame smaller pieces of nursery themed wallpaper.
Most repeats are 18" and 19" tall, within that repeat
there could be several images that could be individually
framed to make a grouping.
• Paper half of a wall and incorporate wainscoting or a
• Use wallpaper in the kitchen as a backsplash accent
between the counter tops and cabinets.
• Use a matte sealer to the wallpaper after hanging to
protect the surface from spills and slashes.
• Select vibrant botanicals from the 1950s look great in
retro cottage homes or mixed with wicker.
• Cover room screens with forals, botanicals, and other
vintage wallpaper patterns.
• Line the drawers of vanities, desks, old dressers, etc.
with small patterned papers in soft colors… very
A great source for vintage wallpaper is hannahstreasures.com